Frequently-Asked Questions concerning


In our Contract, there is a 'Partial Retirement' benefit.

Faculty that have attained the age of 55, and have completed at least 10 years of full-time service, are eligible to request a reduced load (as low as 50%), while still receiving all other benefits based on full-time service.

The final decision to grant reduced service/partial retirement rests with with Superintendent/President.

Question 1: Where is this benefit addressed in Contract?

Page 72-74 of the current contract. <>

Question 2: When and to whom do I submit the letter to request reduced service. Who writes the agreement for the District?

Submit a letter no later than April 1 (and preferably earlier in the academic year) to the VP of Instruction and Planning, with copies to your Division Dean and the Superintendent/President. An email attachment is acceptable. You will receive a Memo from the VP of Instruction, stating their recommendation to the Superintendent. The Memo will include some language about contractual requirements.

After that, expect a letter from the Superintendent indicating their decision, accompanied with more language quoting the policy/contract.

Question: Must this agreement be rewritten each year?

Yes. The letter from the Superintendent will specify that, if you want to continue on partial retirement, you must reapply before April 1 each year.

Question: Partial retirement may continue for up to a maximum of ten years?

Yes—the contract stipulates that partial retirement may last for up to 10 years.

Question: If, after any one year, either the District or I no longer agree to continue the Reduced Service Agreement, then what happens.. back to full-time?

Yes, back to full-time, or retire. SJDCTA knows of no one who has ever been told to return to full-time by the District. If the District does not grant your initial request for partial retirement, or grants it one year and then reneges, contact SJDCTA leadership for assistance.

Question: By agreeing to reduced service are there any rights/privileges that you loose?

Yes. You will be limited to $500/yr for faculty travel, as opposed to $2000 max for full-time.

Actually, there are some benefits to partial retirement:

No requirement to attend mandatory flex days. Flex hours are proportional to work time. No requirement to serve on any campus committees. Not required to keep the office hours that FT faculty do.

Question: Do you have to give up your office?


Question: What about payroll deductions?

The amount paid to STRS stays the same, and is based on full-time salary. At the same time, your new salary will be reduced, commensurate with your smaller load. (Example deductions, based on 50% load: Medicare will be 50% of FT rate. State and federal taxes are lowered proportionate to your gross pay. STRS and CTA remain at 100% of FT rate.)

Question: Do CTA dues stay the same in partial retirement/reduced service? Do CTA Dues stay the same as I pay now, based on full-time salary, even though the my partial salary will be smaller?

Yes, you will still pay full CTA dues, as if you were drawing a full-time salary.

Question: What about STRS?

The salary used for the STRS calculations would be the amount that you would have received if you had been working full-time (provided this is the highest of all your years of service). The reduced salary will not be considered in calculating your STRS deduction. You receive the full-year STRS credit while working less than a full-year.

Question: What about Longevity Increments?

Longevity increments are not affected by partial retirement.

The increments will be accrued as if you were working full time.

If you have more questions about this, or any other topic, please contact your SJDCTA Division Representative, or any SJDCTA officer.

December 2015

Prepared by: Joan Walsh, Steve Schermerhorn and Elizabeth Maloney